Wednesday, 15 February 2012

A Simple Pleasure

Let me tell you a little secret. Well not a secret exactly, more of a tip. It's not a wonderfully clever tip, but it does work wonderfully. What is it? This:

Take your enjoyment from wherever you can.

Things for everyone are tough at the moment. I certainly don't have the money to go out very often, and after a while, 'going without' can get you down. But you don't have to spend a fortune to put yourself in a good mood.

For me at the moment, I'm getting immense pleasure listening to Classical music on my phone. When I walk to and from work, I have my headphones in, and I listen to a few pieces of music.

I know that Classical music isn't everyone's cup of tea (which reminds me, I fancy a cup of tea), but trust me it is fabulous. The secret is to not care, and to participate. Generally, there are only two ways to listen to Classical music; you either mouth along to the any singing (I would say sing along, but most Classical singing is Choral and not in English), or you can pretend to conduct the Orchestra, or play a violin (many fine pieces of Classical music have wonderful Violin pieces in them) or other instrument.

A few of my favourite pieces of Classical music are as follows (search for these in YouTube):

• The 'Hallelujah' Chorus from Handel's "Messiah" - a great one to Sing along to (most versions you'll find will be in English)

• Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture - great to "Compose" along with.

• Beethoven's 5th Symphony - The music of this piece is widely thought to represent Fate knocking on the door, and when you hear it you will understand why.

• Bizet's Carmen: Act 1 - Prelude. One of the most famous pieces of Classical music ever written, and perfect for Conducting along with.

• Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March. Now THIS is one to be played loudly and to be both conducted and sung along to. It is fantastic!

You will be amazes how good a bit of pretend singing or orchestra conducting can make you feel. I often put a bit of classical on in the car if I am out driving. I crank the volume right up and wind my window down so I can share a bit of culture with the masses.

Some of you might think I'm stupid, and that is your opinion. Like I said, Classical music isn't everyone's bag, and that is fine too.

For me, it can lift me out of whatever less than chirpy mood I may be in, and can make my heart soar.

I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment