Sunday, 12 February 2012

2 For 1 Blog - Part Two: Sunday

Today started delicately for me, the previous night's shenanigans caught up with me. My head was pounding, and my throat was dry, and I felt rubbish.

However, being a hero and all round legend of a guy, I still managed to write my blog about the events of yesterday and last night.

My duty done, I decided to get dressed and join the land of the living. I was halfway through getting dressed when there was a knocking on my door. Bearing in mind that I was not in my own home, and yet cheerfully opened the door in my boxer shorts.

I don't know why there is a door in my boxer shorts.

When I opened the door, there was my mate Alyn - looking much worse than me hangover wise, and wearing his dressing gown. After exchanging pleasantries, Alyn asked if I wanted a cup of tea. He then looked me up and down and laughed and left me to get dressed.

That's always happening to me.

I got dressed and went downstairs. Alyn's parents were up and were cooking breakfast - a glorious fried breakfast with toast and coffee or tea and orange juice. The whole works, basically. It was fabulous, and cleared my headache right up.

Breakfast done, Alyn and I set off to Cardiff for a spot of pre-match showing of Larry Cardiff City Centre, including a trip to the 'Forbidden Planet' comic book shop - a must see part of Alyn's city tour. I was going to use this tour of the City to try the new "Female grading system" as devised by Carl who is the friend of Lenny that I met last night. For those of you unfamiliar with the intricate and detailed system, let me try to get the gist of it across to you:

If you are out at a pub or a club, or an abattoir and there are women in the vicinity, you must grade them from 1 - 5 thusly:
• 1: You wouldn't go near it, if she was the last woman on Earth and your life depended on it.
• 2: Still far from ideal, but if you really had to, you would talk to it.
• 3: Not bad, would be happy to talk to her, and wouldn't mind being seen out in public together.
• 4: Definite girlfriend material, take her home to meet the folks.
• 5: Marry her now.

We arrived in Cardiff and set off on a tour. Actually, only I was on a tour - Alyn had been there before, do he was just wandering about. We had a plan - Alyn would look at comic books and say "ooh, shiny", and I would look at women and say "Yeah, I would".

Cardiff is a great City - it is Vibrant, with a nice atmosphere, and today it was throbbing with a friendly banter-filled army of Rugby fans. Supporters of both sides were drinking together, having a laugh, and looking forward to the game. I can honestly say that at no point did I ever feel threatened or in a situation I wasn't comfortable with.

There is also a nice mix of the old and the new in Cardiff - there is the Castle, and many houses that were built in (I would guess) Victorian times, but also a modern shopping centre and various pubs and restaurants. It all gelled together nicely.

Alyn found his comic books, and I had seen three "3"s, four "2"s, and only one "1" - but I reckon he was a model. We met up with Alyn's parents who were in a pub with Alyn's brother Tomas (That is the correct way of spelling his name - with no H.) and his girlfriend, Steph (who definitely has a H in her name - otherwise she'd be called "Step").

Again, as with the rest of the City, this pub was full of a mixture of Welsh and Scottish Rugby fans. Everyone was drinking, but there was no trouble at all. I did notice a very tall and lovely looking barmaid who was definitely a 2 and might even have been a 1. Which was nice.

It was good catching up with Tomas and Steph again - we had got on very well at Alyn's house warming party and I enjoy their company. Steph has a very good memory, and has taken an interest in my blog, which I am humbly flattered by.

We stayed for a couple of pints before heading over to the Stadium - but not before observing the Williams' family tradition of eating a Pastie before the game. I'm not sure how or why this is a tradition, but the Pastie was very enjoyable, if a little cold.

Now, in order to adequately explain the experience of visiting the Millennium Stadium I would have to write pages and pages , so let me just say this:

It was the best experience of my life so far. I was in a Stadium with 73,129 (or so) people, and the atmosphere, the noise, the banter was unbelievable. There was no segregation of fans here; Welsh and Scottish fans sat side by side and shared banter and laughs together.

And when the Welsh National Anthem was sung by 50,000 plus fans in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, to be there and hear it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I now want to go and see Scotland play at home in Edinburgh, France in Paris, Italy in Rome, and see Ireland play....wherever it is they play (I forget).

It was a great game, and I am not ashamed to say that for this one day I shouted and roared for Wales as loudly as I could.

I was very sad to leave Cardiff, when we started our journey back to Dorset, but I know I will go back there.

My experience of Wales has been one of total joy, and I am so grateful to Alyn and Emma, and Alyn's family for letting me experience all that I did this weekend. Thank you Alyn, Emma, Phil, .....erm.... Linda (let's call her Linda - I can't remember what Alyn's Mum's name is), Tomas, and Steph. I have had the best time of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Tomas (with no 'H')13 February 2012 at 03:35

    Lovely blog Larry, thank you.

    P.S. Her name's Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete