Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Obviously Harder Than It Looks

I never realised just how incredible I am, until now.

That may sound like an outlandish statement, but bear with me. You see, I seem to have been endowed with superpower of some kind, and this superpower allows me to do what others cannot, apparently.

You may be wondering what this superpower is - well, its not X-ray vision, and its not the ability to climb buildings and swing from a thread like Spiderman. I don't turn into a huge green monster when I am angry, nor can I fly, run faster than a speeding bullet, or leap tall buildings in a single bound like Superman.

So what is this apparent superpower I possess? From what I can tell, it is simply the ability to do things for others A) without complaining, or B) without expecting anything in return.

It seems to me that the general concensous is, that if there isn't something to be gained by doing it, then there is no point helping people, or I only help people on my terms.

That's not how I work. I will help anyone out if they need my help, and I expect nothing in return. That being said, I will not do something for others just  because "they don't want to". I don't ask anyone to do anything that I wouldn't be prepared to do myself, and therefore only ask in real need.

I don't know if this is an indictment of the world we live in today, but it seems too easy to not help, to walk away and leave others to sort it out these days, than it is to put ourselves out and help somebody else out.
Everytime I do something for somebody else, I do it in the hope that one day, should I need, someone will be there to help me.

I understand that helping others is difficult; it actually takes effort - you physically have to move to grab that item from the top shelf, carry that old ladies bag, hold that door open, or whatever form the help may take. Not helping on the other hand, takes no effort at all - ignoring somebody burns zero calories; pretending not to hear will shed zero pounds. You will never break a sweat not helping somebody.

I can only guess that it must boil down to each persons individual outlook. It seems a lot of people are just out to get what they can from life, and are just looking out for themselves. Oh yes, they will get away with what they can, sweet talking their way into situations advantageous to themselves, but when it comes to helping somebody else? Sorry - no can do.
Others will also try to get what they want from life - but at the same time are willing to give a little back to others. They will help out - sometimes to gain an advantage, but not always. And quite often, for no advantage at all.

Maybe I'm an idealist. Maybe I don't live in the real world. Have you seen the real world lately? It's not all sunshine and flowers you know. If you give it a chance, it can grind you down.
I prefer to live the way I do. I might have given you the impression that I am a saint - I'm not, and I don't do impressions. But I will help others when I can, which is a lot of the time.
Tomorrow, I'm picking up my ex-girlfriends daughter from work. I don't have to, as she could get home by other means. However, these other means would not get her home until later. I have my car, I have the time, and it does not inconvenience me at all - so why should I refuse? Because she is the daughter of an Ex? Is that the best reason anyone can come up with? Please......

The way I see things, if it costs you nothing in the grand scheme of things to help someone, what have you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment