Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Concern For Others Will Be The Death of Me!

I'll tell you something, it's not all fuzzy feelings and a sense of pride when I put others first - it can be painful!

For a few days this week, I am starting work early - at around 6am - so have been getting up extra early. I set my alarm for 5am, but I turn up the volume so that it is extra loud and I have to get up and turn it off, rather than do what I normally do and bury my head under the duvet. I have deliberately put my alarm clock on the other side of the room, to give me another reason to get up.

So, this morning my alarm goes off at 5am and I leapt out of bed like a.....erm....like a......oh well I can't think of anything - but I really got out of bed sharpish! The trouble is, I wasn't really rushing to silence the alarm for me. You see, I sleep with one window open, and my main concern was my alarm disturbing my neighbours. I don't know why I worry so much, they don't give a fig about me, and have never complained about noise. Nonetheless, at 5am this morning as I stumbled blindly in the dark towards my alarm clock, the welfare of my neighbours was foremost in my mind.                          

Unfortunately, I forgot about the wardrobe.

My wardrobe is built into the wall. To be honest, I actually think it is just a recess in the wall that a previous occupant put a rail in and two slatted doors on the front of. The doors shut by way of catches at the top, but it would appear that these catches only work periodacally, as the doors have a tendency to swing back open unexpectedly. This is what happened at some point during the night.

So as I leapt out of bed, I was unaware that I was on a collision course with six foot of wardrobe door.
As I stumbled bleary eyed towards the alarm clock, every step took me closer to disaster.
I reached my left arm out to switch off my alarm, when WHAM!! the wardrobe door caught me squarely on my right shoulder. Considering it's made of quite flimsy wood, I'm surprised that it didn't shatter under the impact of my 16 + stone frame. What is even more surprising, is the fact that I didn't break my shoulder!

It really really hurt, and I'm not afraid to say that I cried a bit. I am afraid to say that I blubbed like a girl.

Stupid neighbours!

Stupid wardrobe!

Stupid alarm clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment