Thursday, 1 September 2011

Faster, Faster! Damn, You Brain....

So I'm back on the exercise kick, with new trainers that aren't giving me blisters. The results have been immediate: tonight I walked the second longest distance I have walked so far, but in the fastest time yet. You can check out my workout(s) HERE. I am especially pleased with myself because A) I set a new personal best time for walking a mile - 11 minutes 43 seconds, and B) because after setting consecutively faster times for each of the first three miles I walked, my pace slowed as fatigue kicked in - but I was able to get it back and match my best time for a mile before I finished. The bar has been set, and I will have to see if I can improve on these times next time (Saturday 3rd September).

I am fairly confident that I will be able to improve on both my overall and individual mile times as I get fitter. I know that through repeating this exercise I will train my muscles to withstand the exertion and give me more energy - but I also wonder if it is possible to train your reactions to signal those muscles to move a fraction faster, and therefore give you faster movement?

Like I said, I know that it is possible to train your muscles to lift more weight, or move more. If you did ten press ups everyday for a week, at the end of the week it will be much to do those ten press ups than it was at the beginning of the week. So can you do the same with your reactions? I assume that you can - athletes competing in the 100m sprint final at the Olympics, spend years training to not only run as fast as they can, but to also explode out of the blocks as soon as possible after the starting pistol is fired.

The reason I ask is that I assume that if I can get my brain to tell my legs to move that fraction faster, I will get more energy out of them, and therefore move faster. I'm curious to know how much I can improve on my current best time of 1h 20m 28s. I know that soon I will break the 1h 20m mark - but can I get it down to 1h 10m?



At this precise moment in time however, I don't care. My legs ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment