Sunday, 28 August 2011

If Only I had Been This Funny At School

I think social networking sites are a bit of a "Marmite" issue - people either love them, or loathe them. I like it - mainly because through it I have got back in touch with a lot of old school friends, and family that I otherwise would struggle to keep in contact with (because I'm rubbish at doing so). Now some people say that Facebook Friends are not real friends - and I can understand their reasoning. In a lot of cases, we will never meet some of the people that we add as a friend on Facebook - because of the geographical distances, as well as the fact that they are a friend of a friend, or a secondhand friend, as I like to call them. However most of our friends, are genuine friends.

I am especially happy that I have so many friends from my school years - and am grateful for their friendship and love. And I mean that - whenever an old Friend says something nice about me, or "likes" one of my comments or status updates, I genuinely like it; and I think it is because I don't remember us being this friendly at School.

Now I may be doing them a disservice here - and if so I apologise. As with all of us, my recollections are based on what I can remember - and my School years were not the happiest of my life. I certainly wasn't one of the popular crowd, nor could I ever be considered one of the good looking kids - although in recent years I have been told that couple of people did fancy me (Annette Beasley, and Helen Mundy allegedly), but this is information which would have been more useful to me years ago.

I was a quiet, geeky, different kind of kid - here is a picture of me at 15/16 years old:
The 1986 "Who's Got The Worst Jumper" Competition Ends In a Draw



 I know that at that age none of us are complete as individuals, but I just wish that I had had the sense of humour that I have now, back then. Or at least the confidence to express myself more in that way. Instead, I seemed to spend most of my School life trying to avoid trouble - and I wasn't massively successful at that.

I'm going to a School reunion next year - 25 years since I have seen most of my Facebook school friends. It will be a great night, and I am looking forward to it immensely. I suppose what I really wish is that we could all have been the people we are now back in 1986/7 when we were at school. But we weren't - at least I wasn't.

And whilst I acknowledge that my sense of humour is rubbish, and silly, and stupid, and not to everyones taste, I know that it fits who I am perfectly. I am definitely of the opinion that in spite of a slow start in life with pretty much everything, now I am getting better as I get older, and am definitely making up for lost time.

I can't wait until I'm 90 years old - by then I'll be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment