Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Exercise and Alcohol, and the Rising Cost of Rioting

I've just pierced a blister on the heel of my left foot. A Blister obtained in the pursuit of fitness. As you may know, I am on sort of a health kick so I have taken to walking a set distance as fast as I can within a set time limit. Today I set a new personal best: 6.72 Miles in 1hr 24mins. You can see all the details of today's walk here. I'm quite proud of this - but am also in some pain, as I have pulled the skin off my blister, revealing the raw flesh to the elements.

In addition to this, I have also developed a new exercise related injury: Walker's nipple. It happens when the fabric of my t-shirt rubbed against my nipple causing it to go red and sore. Strangely, this only appears to have affected my left nipple - my right nipple is unaffected. Perhaps I have inadvertently been walking with my left breast stuck out proudly, causing the nipple to rub excessively against the material of my t-shirt. Whatever the reason, I will be forced to place plasters over my nipples in future to avoid more nipple rub.

The lengths you have to go to just to lose a few pounds.


As I write this, I am yet again under the influence of alcohol - but this is not my fault. Again we have been obliged to entertain some suppliers of ours. which  of course has involved considerable amounts of drinking, and an Indian meal. As a result, our suppliers are suitably impressed - and I am suitably intoxicated. I will have a hangover in the morning - and a painful heal on my left foot. Whoever said the best thing to do with a blister is leave it, was on to something.


I've been watching the news recently - especially the news about the violence in Northern Ireland surrounding the Marching Season. Every time they show some footage, there is always gangs of people in masks, and they are always throwing petrol bombs.
For those of you who do not know what a petrol bomb is, it is basically a glass bottle filled with petrol, with a rag (soaked in petrol) stuffed in the neck of the bottle. The rag is lit, the bottle is thrown, and when it hits the ground, the glass smashes and the petrol inside ignites.

But how can they afford this form of missile? With today's petrol prices rocketing out of control, I would assume that it has long since become economically unviable to use petrol bombs in violent protests. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it won't be too long until they are forced to use water balloons filled with urine - although I admit that a face full of wee is less intimidating than being set on fire.

Hopefully, things will settle down soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment