Sunday, 31 July 2011

The Best Night Out in Ages...........And Arachnids Need Planning Permission.

Well, what a night. Last night was the second night of the Royal Oak Beer Festival weekend. For those of you that don't know, the Royal Oak is the pub in the village I used to live in - Okeford Fitzpaine.
My friends Nikki and Simon had very kindly said that I could sleep on their floor, which of course meant that I didn't have to worry about driving home, and could have a drink. Huzzah!!

The night was absolutely fabulous - I spent all my time wandering around catching up with all my friends that I knew when I lived in the village, and it was really lovely to chat to them. I must admit, I really do miss living in Okeford.

The Beer festival was a huge success, and the pub was packed out. Actually, most of the people were outside, as there was a real ale tent and a marquee for the live music in the pub garden. The music was great, and there were lots of people from far and wide there. There have been signs up advertising the beer Festival on roads at least 20 miles from Okeford Fitzpaine in every direction (except upwards or downwards), so it would have been known about by many people.

The night as a whole was a great success, but there was one moment of unpleasantness. I was on my way to the toilet and just outside the toilets, two men were having a heated argument - presumably about the young lady who was stood close by looking upset. From what I can gather, one of these men was the girls father, and the other was a "friend" of the girl, or possibly a boyfriend. Anyway, I passed them loudly exchanging differences of opinion and went into the toilets. Typically, as I am standing at the Urinal doing my thing, it all kicks off between these two blokes. The girl is screaming, people are saying "leave it lads!", and these two blokes are grappling with each other and swearing etc.

Well, I assume they were  - I was still at the Urinal unable to get away to see what was happening. I just couldn't wee fast enough. By the time I had finished and got out of the toilets it had all calmed down. Bizarrely, the only injury to anyone was suffered by the Pub landlady, who got bitten on the finger by one of the two men as she stepped in to separate them. Apparently it was severe enough to warrant an ambulance being called - an ambulance which then sat outside the pub for a good three hours. Rather a long time for a finger injury?

But apart from that incident, the night was brilliant - I had such a good time, caught up with some very very special people, and laughed loudly and long.

This morning, I was a little worse for wear. I drove home at 8:30 am and then composed myself and at about 9:30am drove to Yeovil for some retail therapy. On the way I sang very loudly and badly to the radio, but it was a beautiful day, and I was in a great mood - albeit with a stinking headache.
When I got into the car, I noticed a cobweb on my drivers door wing mirror. There had been a cobweb there the previous morning also - but I had removed that one. It was obvious that the spider that lives behind my wing mirror keeps building webs - but it never asks me if it can.

And that is the trouble with Spiders - they pay no regards to property rights or location limitations. They just build a web wherever they please. I can tell you something; the spider behind my wing mirror won't do that anymore - next time I see him, I'll tell him he needs to apply for planning permission in writing to the appropriate authorities - namely, me.

That may sound a bit extreme, but if you don't watch them, those spiders will really take the piss. It starts with a single web, but then there are extensions, and a summer house being put up. So, I have to keep them in check.

They are intelligent creatures , spiders - so I wonder how long it will be until we see this sort of thing:


You have been warned...........


I have had the best weekend I've had in a long long time. And to finish it off, I'm now going to watch The Lord of The Ring: The Fellowship of The Ring on Blu-Ray on my 42" TV.

I'm also going to eat a 230g bar of Cadbury's Whole Nut.


Life is good.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment