Tuesday, 21 June 2011

These Are a Few of My Favourite Things - Except the Last One

Although there are plenty of things I like very much - Chocolate, Cameron Diaz, Cameron Diaz covered in Chocolate - there are only a few that I consider to be one of my favourites. I might even be flying in the face of tradition by having more than one favourite, as I suppose you can only really have one favourite thing.

But hey, it's my blog, and I'll have as many favourites as I bloody well like!

So, here are a few of my favourite things.............

Favourite Place To Visit - The Natural History Museum, London .

I've absolutely love going to the Natural History Museum. It "ticks all the boxes" on two levels - firstly, the Architecture; The building was built in 1881, in a "German Romanesque" style, by Alfred Watehouse. It has often been called "a Cathedral to Nature", and you can certainly see why. To me, it is simply one of the most stunningly beautiful buildings I have ever seen. The magnificent stonework, the windows - everything about it just takes my breath away.

And then you step inside - and the exhibits take your breath away again. The first thing you see when you walk into the main hall in the Skeleton of a Diplodocus - one of the longest Dinosaurs that ever lived. I have always loved Dinosaurs, right from small (me, not them), and to behold the Skeleton of an actual Dinosaur gives me goosebumps whenever I see it. The Dinosaur exhibit is very, very good -  but there is much more to see. Highlights for me include: the section of the Giant Sequoia Tree, with the dates through history shown on its rings; the life size model of a Blue Whale; and the Skeleton of an Icthyosaurus that died whilst pregnant - and you can see the tiny skeleton of its infant still inside it. There is too much to tell you about, but if you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it.

Favourite Footballer - Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp was - when it came to football - a true Dutch Master. He was a joy to behold, and some of his touches and skills were simply amazing. I'm going to show you two videos of what are probably two of his greatest goals. The first, is this goal for Arsenal against Newcastle United. I have to watch a few times before I can get my head round how he beat the defender to set himself up to score:

The second video is from the 1998 World Cup in France. This, for me, was the best goal of that World Cup. I will say no more, except that the commentary is in Dutch - purely for the hilarious excitement of the Dutch Commentator. But what a goal......

Favourite Thing On The Internet (Right Now) - Minecraft
Ok, how do I explain this? Minecraft is an online game you can download for the PC. It is an adventure game, with very simple graphics, but a few nice touches - day and night (the sun sets and rises) monsters come out at night, that sort of thing. You can "craft" things by using your surroundings i.e. if you cut down a tree, you get blocks of wood with which you can make a house,  weapons etc. There is all manner of materials - sand, stone, wood - and if you mine, you can get gold diamonds etc. You can even make fire - though many things are combustible. I am following on You Tube two guys who are playing this Minecraft game - Simon and Lewis (who in the game are called Honeydew (a dwarf) and Xephos (a man). They are involved in a huge quest to rid the land of an evil  - an evil called Israphel. The adventures of these two "heroes" are very funny, especially as Simon does all the voices for the many other characters that they meet on their adventure. You do get quite into it. I have been watching weekly videos for the past six months now, and I eagerly await the next one. Here is a Trailer which sort of covers what has happened so far:

To get up to speed, there are a lot of videos to watch - but they all started with this first one. If you like it (and I am aware that not everybody will), the best way will be to subscribe to the channel promoting the video. Just click on the "subscribe" button above the video (the very first video, not the trailer video above). Videos are between 10 and 20 minutes in length, so it doesn't take too long to watch.
Anyway, I really like this.

My Favourite Joke (One Of) - Beekeepers.
This is one of my favourite jokes. It's simple, and silly - but hey, so am I.

There are these two beekeepers, and they are talking about the bees they look after.
1st Bee keeper: "How many bees do you have?"
2nd Bee keeper: "I've got 20,000 Bees"
1st Bee keeper: "How many Hives you got?"
2nd Bee keeper: "I've got 10 hives"
1st Bee keeper: "aah, 10 hives, 20,000 bees - okay"
The 2nd Bee keeper then asks the 1st Bee keeper how many bees he has.
1st Bee keeper: "I've got a million bees"
2nd bee keeper: "a million bees!? how many hives do you have?"
1st Bee keeper: "I've got 1 hive."
2nd Bee keeper: "1 hive!? you've got a million bees, but only 1 hive!?"
1st Bee keeper: "yeah - f*ck 'em, they're only bees."

Well, I like it.......

Not One of My Favourite Things - The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I hate it. It's not funny. It's not clever.

That's all I have to say about that.



That's it for this blog - but watch out for tomorrow's.....

No comments:

Post a Comment