Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Skipping, Food, Deadly, Blog.

Well, here we are: my 100th Blog post. I have got a bit to say about it, but I'll do that later on. For now, let's get on with the matter at hand - today's blog:


You know when you see boxers skipping as part of their training? Well do they actually need the skipping rope? Surely they would get the same exercise by doing the same jumping up and down and making circles with their wrists, than they would if they were holding a skipping rope? The idea of skipping is to jump over the rope, and make no contact with it at all - so what difference does it make if the skipping rope is there or not?
The only reason I can think of for having a skipping rope whilst skipping, is to make sure that the person jumping up and down and making circles with his wrists, doesn't look like a complete idiot.


Genetically modified food - I think the scientists have missed a trick here. It's all very well growing food that will ripen without going soft, or has increased resistance to herbicides and pesticides - but how about modifying a crop so that it produces more food? With a large proportion of the world either starving or malnourished, why not make it so that we grow enough food to feed everybody?
Or if GM is not the way to go, how about cloning? They have successfully cloned a sheep, why not clone a potato? or carrots? Why have 1000 tonnes of food, when you can have 2,000  or 4,000 tonnes?

Of course, there already is enough food to feed everybody in the world. It's just that the rich countries have it, and we waste it. It is estimated that in the U.K 3.3 million tonnes of food is thrown each year - and yes, while half of this is inedible waste, that still leaves 1.8 MILLION tonnes of food that could be eaten by someone who needs it, somewhere else in the world. And all you do is wash it, put it in a can (to keep it fresh for longer), ship it to wherever it needs to go with one tin opener per person, and it would save a lot of people from dying unnecessarily. And as for the tin cans - the poorest nations in the world know how to make the most out of everything, so they would be recycled and turned into anything - sheets of metal to make a roof out of.

The great comedian Bill Hicks summed it up, when he said "we now have the technology to fire a laser guided missile down a chimney from 25 miles away and kill people. Could we not use the same technology to fire a Banana at a starving person?"

Of course we could.


Deadly Nightshade is a very dangerous plant with toxic leaves and berries. If an adult was to eat between 10 and 20 of the sweet tasting berries, it could kill them. Children would die from eating between 2 and 5 berries. So don't let them.
What I want to know is: Was the name "Deadly Nightshade" given to the plant right away, or did the botanists undergo lengthy studies of other plants from the same family and then decide which of the "Nightshades" was deserving of the title "Deadly"?
At one point, did they think they had found the Deadly Nightshade - but then discovered the plant that we now know to be Deadly Nightshade, and therefore have to rename the other plant "Not Deadly - But Avoid Anyway Nightshade"?
Continuing this theme, is there a progressive scale of less deadliness in the Nightshade variety? If you look hard enough, will you come across "Dangerous Nightshade"?, or "Don't make eye contact Nightshade", or even "I wouldn't if I were you Nightshade". And if Deadly Nightshade is at one end of the spectrum, what is at the other? "Not Deadly at all - but it'll leave a nasty stain on your trousers Nightshade"?
They could be out there.......


So this is my 100th Blog. And I have to say, that it has not been easy. On most days, I will admit that inspiration has been kind - but on others, I have really struggled for ideas of what to say in my Blog. To be honest, a great deal depends on the sort of day I have. If I am busy, then my mind seems to work extra hard, and ideas flow easily. However, if I am not busy, then Ideas do not come at all, and trying to force something funny to appear just doesn't work. There is quite a lot of pressure in writing a blog each and every day.
Nonetheless, I have enjoyed doing it immensely. The reception I have got has been very kind - I was especially touched by the kind words said about my blogs about my Father and my Mother. I don't write this blog for praise, I just tell you how I feel. Sometimes, what I write works really well - and other times, it doesn't. But hey - that's life.
At this moment in time I don't know how long I will do this for. My initial plan was to do this for a year - 365 blogs, and then get them all put into a book. However, I might just carry on indefinitely. A lot will depend on how invasive this becomes. Luckily for you lot, at the moment I am single, and the cupboard of prospective romance is as bare as old Mother Hubbard's. And even she had a dog. So you'd better hope that I don't meet someone (although if you know of anyone, feel free to let me know) - though to be honest, reading this blog gives you a good idea of what sort of person I am, so any potential future ex-girlfriends could be shown my blog as a sort of testing the water thing.

But I won't hold my breath.






And that is blog number 100 completed. I am now going out for a curry with my boss and our Indian Pot Pourri supplier. I'm looking forward to it - because I'm starving.

One final thing - those of you who haven't been reading my blog from day one (March 16th 2011), please check out my earlier blogs. There's plenty of weird and wonderful topics covered.

I am and always will be grateful for you for taking the time to read my blog. I know it's rubbish, you know it's rubbish - and yet you still read it. And I love you for it.

Not the men.

See you tomorrow!

P.S. Tell your friends to check out my blog - I need more followers!!!!!






Start

No comments:

Post a Comment