Saturday, 4 June 2011

Goodbye My Sweet

Today is a very sad day for me. It is a day that I've known was coming for a very long time now, but still, I never actually thought it would finally be here. There comes a time in all our lives where we have to accept that we just can't do the things we used to, and have to face the harsh reality of getting older. It's an concept that none of us want to even think about, but it has just as much inevitability as Death itself.
I am saying goodbye to an old friend - a friend that has always been there when I have needed it, and has always made me feel better. It didn't ask any questions, didn't give me any advice - it just helped.

Today is the last day that I will ever eat a 400g  bar of Cadbury's chocolate. You see, I don't have an "that's enough chocolate for now" switch, when it comes to these size bars - so I just eat the whole thing in one sitting. I've never been one to have a bit, then put the chocolate away, that's just not the way I do it. For years I've done it - eaten a whole 400g bar of chocolate, usually in around 6 minutes. Cadbury's is my favorite chocolate (although I do eat others), and my order of preference is Whole Nut, Dairy Milk, and then Fruit and Nut. And the chocolate has to be cold. My farewell bar of Dairy Milk is chilling nicely in the fridge - so it will be perfect in a few hours when I choose to eat it.

But as I said earlier, I simply cannot eat 400g like I used to. Recently, I have been really struggling to eat the whole lot in one go - no, only eating part of it is not an option (how many times do I have to tell you?). Obviously, years of not having a working "that's enough chocolate for now" switch have gradually and subtly lowered my cocoa tolerance levels, and I have suddenly and unexpectedly reached my limit. For the first time in my life recently, I didn't enjoy finishing my chocolate. So I will struggle through my farewell bar tonight - but will do so in a melancholy mood.

Although today will be the last time I eat a 400g bar of chocolate, I'm not giving up chocolate altogether - that would be crazy!! I'll simply downsize to 230g bars - plus the many other chocolates that are available. There may come a time when I find all chocolate intolerable - but I expect to be long dead by then.


So, all that is left for me to say is, thank you 400g of Cadbury's chocolate - it's been a wonderful friendship, and I will cherish the memories always.

3 comments:

  1. A sad tale which I think can maybe be solved with a prescription of........Beer.
    Take 8 times a day (all in one go) for 2 days and repeat as necessary at intervals of 5 days which should fall nicely at the weekends.
    I thank you for your enquiry and will now close my surgery.
    Dr. Paul no md or any other medical qualification.(use at your own risk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cdm down sizing no way!
    Good luck tho as I need u to conquer mountains next year.
    Much love Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooooo! This is a very sad day indeed.
    Although I have to say I wish my tolerance level for chocolate would decrease and then I might be able to lose some weight
    x

    ReplyDelete